Top 15 Things to Do in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Mexico
San Cristobal is known for its rich indigenous culture and beautiful natural surroundings. Here are the top 15 things to do in San Cristobal de Las Casas:
1. Visit the San Cristobal de Las Casas Cathedral. This beautiful 16th-century cathedral is a must-see for its stunning architecture and rich history.
2. Explore the Plaza de la Paz. This charming square is the heart of the city and is surrounded by beautiful colonial buildings, including the San Cristobal de Las Casas Cathedral and the Palace of the Governors.
3. Visit the Palacio de Gobierno. This beautiful palace was built in the 17th century and is now home to the Chiapas state government. It is open to the public and offers guided tours.
4. Take a stroll through the Mercado Municipal. This bustling market is a great place to try traditional Mexican foods and purchase souvenirs.
5. Visit the Casa Na Bolom Museum. This museum is dedicated to the life and work of Trudy Blom and her husband, both of whom were passionate about preserving the culture and traditions of the indigenous people of Chiapas.
6. Visit the Parque Central. This beautiful park is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the fresh air. It is surrounded by charming colonial buildings and has a variety of benches, fountains, and gardens to explore.
7. Visit the Mayan ruins of Palenque. These ancient ruins are a short drive from San Cristobal de Las Casas and are well worth a visit. They offer a fascinating glimpse into the rich history and culture of the Mayan civilization.
8. Take a tour of the San Juan Chamula Church. This unique church is home to a mix of indigenous and Catholic traditions and is a must-see for its beautiful interiors and fascinating history.
9. Visit the Cañon del Sumidero. This beautiful canyon is home to a variety of plant and animal species, and is a great place to go hiking, fishing, or birdwatching.
10. Explore the San Cristobal de Las Casas Museum of Popular Art. This museum is dedicated to the art and culture of the indigenous people of Chiapas and is a great place to learn about the region’s rich history and traditions.
11. Take a tour of the San Juan Chamula indigenous village. This village is home to a variety of indigenous communities and offers a unique glimpse into traditional Mayan life.
12. Visit the San Cristobal de Las Casas Zoo. This small but well-maintained zoo is home to a variety of animals, including primates, reptiles, and birds.
13. Take a trip to the Agua Azul Waterfalls. These stunning waterfalls are a short drive from San Cristobal de Las Casas and are a great place to go swimming, hiking, or picnicking.
14. Go horseback riding in the surrounding countryside. The countryside around San Cristobal de Las Casas is home to a variety of beautiful landscapes, and horseback riding is a great way to explore them.
15. Visit the Chiapas State Archaeological Museum. This museum is home to a variety of ancient artifacts and is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the region.
San Cristobal de Las Casas is a truly unique and fascinating destination with a rich history and culture. Whether you are interested in exploring the city’s colonial architecture, learning about indigenous traditions, or enjoying the beautiful
Want More Travel Tips?
Join my email list and get a free digital copy of my eBook: 100+ Travel Tips, Tricks, and Hacks.
Learn How To:
- Find hidden city flights
- Always get the best seat
- Save hundreds on accommodations
You’ll Also Get:
- Entries to my monthly vacation giveaway
- Updates of new posts
- Exclusive travel deals & discounts
So what are you waiting for? Join the hundreds of people who have already joined:
- What to Wear in Cancun by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in New York by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in Morocco by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023