What Happens if You Fall off a Cruise Ship?
What would you do if you fell off a cruise ship? This is a question that many people ask, and the answer is not always clear. In general, there are several things that could happen depending on the circumstances of your fall.
What a Ship Will Do if You Fall Overboard
The first thing that will happen if you fall overboard is that the ship will stop. The crew will then begin to look for you using a rescue boat or other methods.
A distress call will be made to nearby boats asking for help and the coast guard will be dispatched to help with the search. Depending on the time of day and the weather conditions, the search may last for several hours.
What to Do if You Fall off a Cruise Ship
If you fall overboard, it is important to know what to do in order to increase your chances of being rescued.
1. If you fall overboard, the first thing you should do is try to signal for help.
2. Remain calm and float on your back if possible.
3. If you are unable to float or signal for help, then you will need to swim towards the nearest land mass or object that you can use as a flotation device.
4. Once you have reached safety, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
5. There are also some things that you can do to prevent falling overboard in the first place. For example, wearing a life jacket at all times while on deck and being aware of your surroundings are both good ways to stay safe while aboard a cruise ship.
Statistics on People Falling Overboard
– In the U.S., an average of 79 people fall overboard from cruise ships each year.
– Of those who fall overboard, about 75% are male and 25% are female.
– The average age of those who fall overboard is 39 years old.
– Most accidents occur when passengers are not paying attention to their surroundings or are not wearing life jackets.
If you are planning to take a cruise, it is important to be aware of the risks associated with falling overboard. By taking some simple precautions and being aware of your surroundings, you can help to prevent accidents and ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
- What to Wear in Cancun by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in New York by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in Morocco by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023