What’s the Worst Time to Visit Belize – Plus 7 Top Tips
Belize is a beautiful country with a diverse range of attractions and experiences to offer its visitors. From its stunning landscapes and ecosystems to its rich culture and history, there’s something for everyone in Belize. But with so much to see and do, it’s important to choose the right time to visit this stunning destination. In this article, I’ll be discussing the worst time to visit Belize, as well as providing some helpful tips for making the most of your trip, even during the busiest season.
Why Visit Belize
Belize is a unique and incredibly diverse country that’s well worth a visit. This small Central American nation is home to an incredible range of landscapes and ecosystems, from lush tropical forests to stunning coral reefs. It’s also rich in history, with ancient Mayan ruins and colonial architecture scattered throughout the country. And with its warm, friendly people, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine, Belize is a truly one-of-a-kind destination.
What’s the Worst Time to Visit Belize?
Belize has two main tourist seasons: high season and low season. High season, which runs from December to April, is the worst time to visit Belize, with the highest prices and largest crowds. While this time of year is ideal for some travelers, it may not be the best choice for everyone. If you’re looking to avoid crowds, high prices, and packed beaches, you may want to consider visiting Belize during low season, which runs from May to November.
Weather in Belize
Belize has a tropical climate, with warm temperatures year-round. During the dry season, from February to May, temperatures can reach into the mid-90s, with high humidity levels. The rainy season, from June to November, is characterized by afternoon thunderstorms, but also offers some relief from the heat. When choosing the best time to visit Belize, consider your preferred weather conditions, as well as any weather hazards or events that may be occurring during peak or off-peak seasons.
7 Top Tips for Visiting Belize During the Worst Time
If you’re determined to visit Belize during high season, there are still plenty of ways to make the most of your trip. Here are 7 top tips for visiting Belize during the worst time:
- Plan your trip in advance: Book your accommodation, transportation, and activities as early as possible to ensure you get the best rates and availability.
- Consider staying in less touristy areas: If you’re looking to escape the crowds, consider staying in less touristy areas, such as San Ignacio or Placencia.
- Choose your activities wisely: Plan your activities carefully to avoid overcrowding and long wait times at popular attractions.
- Be prepared for the weather: Make sure to pack appropriately for the weather, and be prepared for the possibility of afternoon thunderstorms.
- Pack appropriately: Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen, insect repellent, and a lightweight, quick-drying wardrobe.
- Be flexible with your itinerary: Don’t be afraid to switch things up if you encounter any unexpected weather or crowds.
- Embrace the local culture: Take advantage of the local culture by trying new foods, shopping at local markets, and meeting the friendly people of Belize.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions travelers have about visiting Belize:
What is the best time to visit Belize?
The best time to visit Belize depends on your individual preferences and travel style. If you’re looking to avoid crowds and high prices, consider visiting during low season, from May to November. However, if you prefer warm weather and are willing to pay a bit extra, high season, from December to April, may be a better choice.
Is it safe to travel to Belize?
Belize is generally considered a safe country for travelers, but it’s always a good idea to exercise caution and stay aware of your surroundings. Take the same safety precautions you would in any other foreign country.
How do I get around Belize?
Belize has a small but well-developed transportation network, with options ranging from private taxis to public buses. Rental cars are also available, but be aware that driving in Belize can be challenging, with narrow roads and limited signage.
What should I pack for a trip to Belize?
When packing for Belize, be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen, insect repellent, and a lightweight, quick-drying wardrobe. A hat, sunglasses, and a waterproof camera are also essential for exploring the country’s stunning landscapes and beaches.
What is the local currency in Belize?
The local currency in Belize is the Belize dollar (BZD), which is pegged to the US dollar at a rate of 2:1. US dollars are widely accepted in Belize, but it’s always a good idea to have some local currency on hand, especially when shopping at smaller, locally-owned businesses.
Visiting Belize during the worst time to visit Belize may not be ideal, but with a little bit of planning and preparation, it’s still possible to have a fantastic trip. Whether you’re exploring the country’s stunning landscapes, immersing yourself in its rich culture, or simply relaxing on its beaches, Belize is a destination that’s well worth a visit. So why not start planning your trip today?
- What to Wear in Cancun by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in New York by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023
- What to Wear in Morocco by Month & Activity (And Not!) - March 13, 2023